Sunday, December 7, 2008

Not much to report

We have had a quiet past couple of weeks. We have just been doing regular life things I guess. We had a fun Thanksgiving with a couple of other families here at our house. On the Wednesday before the kids and I spent the day in the kitchen cooking. Mariah made the cheese ball and green bean casserole (not the icky campbell's soup one--I am with you there Cianne), Samantha made the cranberry sauce from fresh cranberries, Joshua made the West family traditional green slush, and Gabriella emptied nearly every drawer in the kitchen. I loved having all 4 kids standing up on stools to the counter helping me mix everything up. It was one of those really sweet moments that you wish you could bottle up and keep forever! Thursday we had a very peaceful dinner and a fun time pouring through the black Friday ads. Kris had to go into work at 6pm so the kids and I finished cleaning up dinner and watched a movie in my bed and had a sleepover! What a way to spend a holiday, although we wished that Kris could have been with us the whole night.
We went to this cute little, tiny cabin near our house this weekend. It is actually a museum of sorts. It is two stories, but each floor had just one tiny room. They were having a holiday open house, decorated for the season is a very quaint, sweet way. A very good Santa was there to let the kids make requests. I was afraid the kids would brake him he was so gentle and frail. He had the most tender demeanor. I was glad my kids were able to visit him. They also treated us with cookies and cocoa. A very nice evening. Plus we had the bonus of smelling like campfire from the real wood burning fire place!
Gabriella loves to get into the cereal in the pantry. It is right at her level and so she just helps herself all the time. This time she spilled it on the floor and I am not sure if she was hiding from me under the high chair or if that was where the best cheerios were, but either way she made me giggle when I found her. In fact, she loves to run and hid from me. Behind the curtains is her favorite place. I love seeing her tiny feet peaking out from under the curtain. Usually she is hiding because I have told her we need to change her diaper. We love playing Sardines as a family, you know the opposite of hide and seek, one person hides and everyone else looks for them and when you find the hider you hide with them until just one person is left looking--we usually do it with all the lights off in the house--it is our favorite! She is getting very good at hiding!
If you don't have one, I highly suggest you get one. A nine year old that is! Mariah is such a sweet helper with the kids, they love her!

8 comments:

Katie and the boys said...

What a wonderful start to the holidays! Mariah is so sweet to her siblings. You have darling kids.

Alyson said...

Your kids are so cute!! and i cant believe how big they are looking.

MindyMindy said...

Did I inspire a post from you with my threat? lol.
Your kids are great. I'd love to borrow Mariah sometime! She's gonna be a great mom.
I missed you yesterday too. Collin was hoarse and a little dry in his cough. He is acting fine, but we thought we'd take a break. Apparently that was a good thing. V said everyone was sick at church. lol
Anyway. Our Saturday was good. lol. VERY BUSY. 2 parties and much much more. We're still recovering.!

MindyMindy said...

SO happy!!
Thanks for making things ALL better! lol
Wish I could call you. I say we all go on a treasure hunt at the church!

Carolyn said...

Sounds like a great Thanksgiving! It's fun when the kids help out in the kitchen. I'm with you on how nice it is to have older kids. Maddie and Jeni are both such good helpers with Nathan and Grace. I don't know what I'd do without them.

We play plenty of "Hidin' and Seek" at our house but we've never played Sardines. We'll definetly have to give it a try!

BTW, we got your Christmas card today. What a cute family you have. Thanks for remembering us!

sharon said...

Thankyou for keeping up your blog. I love seeing everyone. The pictures are darling. I'm so glad you guys are doing well and having fun. We love you all very much.

Love Mom

Momma Ballou said...

It's so great hearing how much you enjoy being a mommy. I can feel the love you have for your family through your words. Love you guys.

Ilene said...

It's been so fun to look at your blog and see what a darling family you have. I sure miss seeing you guys! I was wondering if I could get your mailing address from you.

ilenefp@msn.com

Tell Kris Hi!

Ilene